What this article Covers
- What is Firmware and why should I update?
- What do I need to do the firmware update?
- How do I update?
- Timeline of Firmware Updates
Firmware, which TechTarget explains as “the software that allows hardware to run,” is added at the time of manufacturing. Embedded firmware controls the functionality of various hardware devices and products such as IQbuds. Unlike app updates for IQbuds, which are typically run through iOS or Android automatically over WiFi, firmware updates require a USB connection between the charging case and a laptop or desktop computer.
Upgrading your firmware allows you to access the features as soon as they are released.
With many consumer electronics products, attaining status as an “early adopter” is a badge of honour. Much like music fans who can attest to being fans of a band “before they were famous,” there is a sense of pride among those with the foresight to appreciate great new products or technology before the masses.
However, along with the potential reward of early adoption usually comes potential risk. New products often undergo multiple enhancements and iterations shortly after their initial debut. A shiny new gadget is often soon outdated by version 2.0.
With IQbuds, ongoing firmware updates have enabled a way to reduce early adopter risk almost entirely.
To update your IQbuds or IQbuds Boost you will need the following things:
- Your IQbuds (Charge Case and both the Left and Right Bud) and the Charge Cord (for best results please make sure your buds and charge case are fully charged)
- A Windows or Mac computer with internet connection. The IQbuds Updater application runs on Mac version 10.9 and later, or Windows 7 (32-bit) and later.
- 10 to 20 minutes of time
Help! The firmware updater will not run on my Chromebook.
The Chromebook uses Linux which is not compatible with our Firmware Updater. Our Firmware Updater is only supported on Mac or Windows platforms.
To update the firmware on IQbuds, follow these steps:
- Install the IQbuds Updater application on a PC or Mac computer *Updater will not work on a tablet or phone
- Set your IQbuds into the charging case
- Close the charging case lid
- Connect the charging case to your PC or Mac computer using the USB cable supplied with your IQBuds at the time of purchase. *Many aftermarket cables will not work properly
- Run the IQbuds application
- Enjoy improved product performance!
Update 1.1.0 (July 2017)
Battery life extended
Enhancement of audio prompts
Addition of “World Off” hearing environment control
Update 1.2.0 (October 2017)
Reduction of wind noise for a better phone call and augmented hearing experience
Update 1.2.1 (December 2017)
Additional enhancement of audio prompts
Adjustment of ringtone volumes on Android devices
Update 1.3.2 (April 2018)
Improved feedback management
Added call muting function
Update 1.4.0 (July 2018)
Update 1.4.1 (October 2018)
Minor bug fixes and performance improvements
Update 1.5.1 (May 2019)
Adding of IQstream TV (requirement for IQbuds Boost users)
Ear ID 6 month reminder pop-up
Android App - relaxation of screen size to reduce issue with "Device not compatible" error
Android App - updated screen look to similar outlay as iOS App