What this article Covers
You can find our recommended cleaning processes in this article. Please note that we do not recommend using Alcohol wipes to clean your buds.
IQbuds do not require much cleaning but following these simple steps can help maintain your buds.
You will need:
- A cloth dampened with water
- A tissue
- Remove the IQbuds from the charging case and take off the silicon or foam tips off your buds.
- Wipe down the bud with a damp cloth, giving special attention the stem of the buds.
- Wipe over silicon tips with the damp cloth to remove any earwax.
- Use a tissue to gently blot away any moisture.
When cleaning the buds, make sure nothing is blocking the speaker in the bud such as ear wax, dirt, or dust.
If there has been a build-up of earwax or debris, this cleaning method will help rectify the issue. Having a build-up of earwax or dirt in the bud can result in a reduction of volume.
You will need:
- Hydrogen peroxide solution (max 3%) *This can be purchased at chemists and most supermarkets
- Cotton-tipped cleaning buds (Q-tips)
- Remove IQbuds from Charge Case
- Remove tips
- In good light, inspect the black speaker mesh, at the tip of the speaker tube of your IQbuds. Wax buildup may appear as mounds of yellowish material on the surface of the mesh, or as a shiny film on the mesh surface
- If wax removal is required, dip one end of the cotton tip into the Hydrogen Peroxide solution and place a drop onto the wax. Ideally, the drop will cover all wax and all visible mesh, up to the edge of the rim of the speaker tube. Carefully apply a little more solution, if this is not the case.
- Leave the Hydrogen Peroxide solution on the wax for 2 minutes.
- Take the dry end of the cotton tip and rotate it across the surface of the mesh a few times. (This can be done by twisting the shaft of the cotton tip while moving it sideways so that the cotton bud wipes across the mesh surface. This should absorb any excess Hydrogen Peroxide solution, including any dissolved wax, and gently wipe the mesh surface clean.
- In good light, inspect the black speaker mesh again. if wax can still be seen on the surface of the mesh, repeat from step 4.
- Once all the wax has been removed from the surface of the mesh, use a sheet of tissue paper to gently blot away remaining Hydrogen Peroxide solution.
- It is recommended not to wear the IQbuds immediately, but to leave them out of the Charge Case for 15 minutes, to allow any residual Hydrogen Peroxide solution to evaporate.
- Refit the tips to the IQbuds
Note: If the build-up of wax was significant, you may have turned up the volume to compensate for the blockage. Before putting your earbuds back in your ears, reduce the volume for audio streaming. After fitting your IQbuds, adjust the volume back up to a comfortable level.